It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:13 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:51 pm 

Hi Danny, thank you for your comments. I had relatives and friends in Oatlands who also went to St Bonaventures. I was wondering if you were by any chance related to John and Thomas McGill who lived at 5 Granton Street, Oatlands?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:01 pm 

Hi Danny just realised your own name is Gill not McGill. - What an auld numpty I've become :?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:08 pm 

Hi Don,
No prob's mate there's a lot of people get my surname mixed with McGill, as far as I know there were a few Gills [not many ] in the soo-side. Actually when I went to Holyrood in my prep 6 months class there was a lad called Phill Gill from the Gorbals but no relation sadly. I met a few Gills in my travels and the foreman bricklayer on a site I worked on in Sydney ,Australia was a Gill and he like me of Irish descent wanted to know the History so I told him our name in Irish is MacGiolla [servant or son of a servant] we got on well we did :) . I met other Gills when I was living /bricklaying in Belfast and Dublin but that's a few years ago now Don as I'm retired now [thank God after building bricks over 46 years in all sorts of weather]. Thanks for your comment Don.

Regards.
Danny :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:41 pm 

Hi Don, welcome to the site :)

It is years since I heard your quote about yourself...."An auld numpty." Thanks for reminding me of it.
Now if I say it here (USA) to someone I feel should be called this....Then they will not know if it is a compliment or otherwise. :P

Hi Danny, glad you made it back home again safely...Hope the gout is under control.

This has been a fabulous summer here...Only four days over ninty degrees and most days around 75 or 80 degs. Cooler in the evenings so we do not have to turn on the A/C and we can open up the windows...I have never seen the flowers doing so well as they are doing this year...What a treat.
Margaret
gbya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:30 pm 

Hi Margaret+gang,
Funny how some sayings like "An auld Numpty" [quoted by Don] stay with you no matter where you go in th World lol, my Gout has well gone now Margaret but I have ingrowing toe-nails to replace that pain with [Aw naw],. Looks like I may have to get them "Burned" which eradicates them forever but I'm told it's very painful indeed but at least they will be gone forever. Still all my "moaning " aside I hope you and Hubby are OK. Take care for now and God Bless. x

Regards,
Danny :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2